Budget and Funding
· VASS supports an extension of the current time-line to fully fund the VRS funds to 4 biennium budgets (instead of 3) in order to diminish the fiscal impacts on local governing bodies.
· VASS supports an increase in the state SOQ funding. Currently, most VA school divisions are operating with state funding that is below FY07 levels.
· VASS supports the full funding of SOQ mandates.
· VASS supports the removal of the SOQ Support Position Cap to more accurately reflect current practice in local school divisions.
· VASS supports increased flexibility in local use of SOQ funding.
· VASS encourages a delay in the implementation of the A-F grading system.
· VASS supports a reduction in the total number of mandated SOL Exams for students (currently 34).
· VASS supports the establishment of a State-wide taskforce to address reform of the Standards 0f Learning assessment and accountability system. Among the Items to address:
o The piloting of alternate assessment and accountability measures (instead of SOL Exams) in selected school divisions.
o Encourage the inclusion of alternate assessment and accountability measures in any reforms to the state accountability system.
o The use of a tiered assessment system for state accountability that could include state mandated tests, locally developed assessments, and existing external examinations such as the PSAT or A.P. test.
o The inclusion of the sampling of student work (vs. testing all students) at various grade levels in any reforms to the state accountability system.